The Basílica Menor de la Virgen de Monserrate is a basilica built in the town of Hormigueros, Puerto Rico dedicated to the Virgin of Montserrat. The foundation of the basilica is on the site of a rural chapel built by a Catalan estate owner called Don Gerardo González, who was the owner of the valleys of the region. Although the specific date when the original chapel was constructed is not known, some records date it as far as 1590. Also, radiocarbon dating tests done to pieces of wood from a coffin found in the basilica point to the existence of the chapel as far back as 1570. The structure combines romantic elements and styles in its architecture, including a bell tower with Mozarabic elements.
In 1998, Pope John Paul II raised the rank of the Church of Our Lady of Montserrat to that of a minor basilica, a distinction held previously on the island only by the Cathedral of San Juan Bautista in the capital.