Fortín Conde Mirasol is located on a hill with a view of the Isabel Segunda village in Vieques, island-municipality located nine miles east of Puerto Rico. This small fort is a typical example of the Spanish fortifications of the 19th century, which consists of a main building and a masonry wall system. The walls vary in height according to the natural contour of the hill it rests on. On top, the wall’s width varies from 30 to 36 inches and at the base it is 6 to 8 feet wide. The entire system is 150 feet long and 70 feet wide. In addition, it has two tanks for collecting rain water.
Vieques’ defense had been a topic for debate since the beginning of the 19th century because this territory had been coveted by the British and other Europeans due to its strategic location between Puerto Rico and the Lesser Antilles. Once Vieques was inhabited by Spaniards in 1811, it became a target for pirate and insurgent attacks. Governor and Captain General, Santiago Méndez Vigo (1841-1844), motivated by these concerns, prepared a plan for developing the island, which, among other things, took into account its defense.