Porta Coeli Religious Museum

San Germán, Puerto Rico

Founded during the first years of the seventeenth century, this structure today houses a museum of religious art.

Porta Coeli when translated it means Gateway to Heaven Convent church or El Convento de Santo Domingo de Porta Coeli in Spanish. Porta Coeli is one of the oldest church structures in the western hemisphere,  in San Germán, Puerto Rico. Built-in 1609 by the Dominican Order, the Convento de Porta Coeli stands at the crest of a hill in what is now the San Germán Historic District. During the 18th century the Convent was reconstructed, and a church was built next to it. The single nave church was constructed of rubble masonry with stucco surfaced walls and a wood truss roof.

In 1949 it was sold to the Government of Puerto Rico for $1 by Ubaldino Ramírez de Arellano, Monseñor Mac Manus, Bishop of Ponce, Senator Santiago R. Palmer and others so that the government would be the ones that protected it and its conservation.

After the Institute of Puerto Rican Culture finally restored it, the church now houses the Museum of Religious Arts. This museum houses religious paintings and wooden carvings dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. The building was listed in 1976 on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places as “Convento de Porta Coeli”.

Hours: Wednesday – Sunday 8:00 am-12:00 noon and 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm.
Phone: 787-892-5845
Google Maphttps://goo.gl/maps/TgPSj4noPRk

  • $3 for adults
  • $2 for kids (under 11) and seniors (over 65)

Video / Embed

- Advertisement -

You might also like

Comments are closed.